French energy giant EDF called a meeting with its Chinese partner over gas leak

15th June,2021

French energy giant EDF called a meeting with its Chinese partner over gas leak



On Monday, the minority French owner of a Chinese nuclear power plant expressed concern after learning of a leak in one of the plant's reactors and convening a meeting with its Chinese partner to discuss it.
EDF, the French energy corporation, owns 30% of the joint venture that owns and operates the Taishan nuclear power plant in Guangdong province, north of Hong Kong. The remaining 70% is held by China General Nuclear Power Corp, a state-owned company.
According to a statement on the company's website, "EDF has been told of a rise in the concentration of some noble gases in the primary circuit of reactor n°1 [number one] of the Taishan nuclear power plant." “The existence of such noble gases in the primary circuit is a well-known occurrence that has been studied and factored into reactor operating procedures.”
The exact location of the gas build-up is unknown, leaving experts puzzled as to the severity of the issue.
CNN reported on Monday that the US government has spent the past week assessing a warning of a leak at Taishan nuclear power plant after EDF subsidiary Framatome warned of a "imminent radiological danger," citing US officials and documents checked.